Guidelines on the Use of the ASEAN Emblem
- The ASEAN Emblem shall be the official emblem of ASEAN.
- The ASEAN Emblem represents a stable, peaceful, united and dynamic ASEAN. The colours of the Emblem — blue, red, white and yellow — represent the main colours of the state crests of all the ASEAN Member States.
- The blue represents peace and stability. Red depicts courage and dynamism, white shows purity and yellow symbolises prosperity.
- The stalks of padi in the centre of the Emblem represent the dream of ASEAN’s Founding Fathers for an ASEAN comprising all the countries in Southeast Asia, bound together in friendship and solidarity.
- The circle represents the unity of ASEAN.
- The ASEAN Emblem is the reserved copyright of ASEAN.
A. Use of the ASEAN Emblem
- The ASEAN Emblem shall be used in a manner that promotes ASEAN and its purposes and principles. It shall not be used for political purposes or for activities that harm the dignity of ASEAN.
- The ASEAN Emblem shall not be used for commercial purposes unless the entities concerned obtain official approval through the procedures stipulated in Article A.4.
A.1. Use of the ASEAN Emblem by ASEAN Member States
- ASEAN Member States are encouraged to use the ASEAN Emblem in official functions relating to ASEAN.
- The ASEAN Emblem shall be placed to the right of the ASEAN Member States’ National Symbols, as seen by the viewer.
A.2. Use of the ASEAN Emblem by the ASEAN Secretariat
- The ASEAN Secretariat shall use the ASEAN Emblem in the manner considered appropriate by the Secretary-General which may include the following:
- Display at the Secretariat buildings and residence of the Secretary-General;
- Use in its official correspondence as letterhead;
- Use as the official seal for the ASEAN Secretariat;
- Use in its official publications, stationery and souvenirs;
- Mark or engrave on properties belonging to the ASEAN Secretariat; and
- Display at ASEAN official functions.
A.3. Use of the ASEAN Emblem by Entities Associated with ASEAN
- Entities officially associated with ASEAN as in Annex 2 of the ASEAN Charter may use the ASEAN Emblem in their official correspondences and meetings.
A.4. Use of the ASEAN Emblem by Other Entities
- Other entities based in an ASEAN Member State shall submit their request for the use of the ASEAN Emblem to the ASEAN National Secretariat concerned.
- Other entities outside the ASEAN region shall submit their request for the use of the ASEAN Emblem to the Community Relations Division of the ASEAN Secretariat:Community Relations Division
The ASEAN Secretariat
70 A, Jl. Sisingamangaraja
- Requests for the use of the ASEAN Emblem shall be submitted in writing, and accompanied with the following information:
- organisational profile;
- nature and purpose of the proposed activity;
- duration of the use of the ASEAN Emblem; and
- prototype of the proposed use of the ASEAN Emblem.
- The ASEAN National Secretariats and the ASEAN Secretariat shall consider the requests accordingly. The approval granted shall be exclusive to the proposed activity. Such approval shall not be extended to third parties.
- Authorisation to use the ASEAN Emblem does not confer on those to whom it is granted any right of exclusive use, nor does it allow them to appropriate the Emblem or any similar trademark or logo, either by registration or any other means.
B. Reproduction of the ASEAN Emblem
- The ASEAN Emblem shall be reproduced in accordance with the Specifications and Colours indicated in the Annex.
C. Approval of and Amendments to the Guidelines
- The Guidelines shall be approved by the ASEAN Coordinating Council (ACC).
- Any Member State may propose amendments to the Guidelines, which shall be submitted to the Committee of Permanent Representatives (CPR) for its consideration and agreed upon by consensus. The agreed amendments shall be submitted to the ASEAN Coordinating Council (ACC) for notation, and thereafter come into immediate effect.
Specifications and Colours
- The specifications of Pantone Colour adopted for the colours of the ASEAN Emblem are:
Blue : Pantone 286
Red : Pantone Red 032
Yellow : Pantone Process Yellow
- For four-colour printing process, the specifications of colours will be:
Blue : 100C 60 M 0Y 6K (100C 60M 0Y 10K)
Red : 0C 91M 87Y 0K (0C 90M 90Y 0K)
Yellow : 0C 0M 100Y 0K
- Specifications in brackets are to be used when an arbitrary measurement of process colours is not possible.
- In Pantone Process Colour Simulator, the specifications equal to:
Blue : Pantone 204-1
Red : Pantone 60-1
Yellow : Pantone 1-3
- The font used for the word “ASEAN” in the Emblem is lower-case Helvetica in bold.
- The Emblem shall appear either in the specified colours or in a singular colour of black, white, gold or silver. It can be enlarged or shrunk in proportionate size as appropriate for its use and place of display.